Andreas Stenglein wrote:
Hello,
just yesterday I had such a lockup of the xserver, too.
It ocurred when I played with xmms and enabled 3 vis-plugins:
G force, then OpenGL LAVA, then OpenGL Spectrum Analyzer.
The Spectrum Analyzer overlapped the LAVA-Window, and a moment
later the Xserver "was locked" (music continued playing!), mouse
could be moved around, but "everything" else was frozen, for
example: the merlin cpufire applet, which shows usage of CPU.
I did ssh to the machine, tried to "init 3" for getting the
Xserver to shutdown, but no luck: I had to killall -KILL X.
After rmmod radeon and init 5: still frozen graphics.
So i rebooted the machine.
system: sis745, AthlonXP1700+, Radeon7500 (275/275MHz),
SuSE 7.3, Kernel 2.4.19, XFree86 4.2.0,
DRI-CVS-mesa-4-1-branch, 20021123 (morning)
Last 3 or 4 times i did a make install of the DRI, I didnt
restart the Xserver, because there were some apps open
I didnt want to close. So I was using a radeon.o
kernel-module which was one or two weeks old.

Maybe that lockup is another "variant" of the
scissoring-bug, which was fixed earlier this
year in the radeon-kernelmodule?

best regards,
Andreas

ps: mesa 5.0 in the upcoming XFree86 4.3.0 would be nice!
  and mach64-3d-support, too.
Is everything OK until you use 3D?
Maybe you could try using the trunk r200_dri.so with the
mesa-41 branch. You can use LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH to specify
the directory to search for the driver.

-Brian