On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 02:24:34PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Don, 2002-11-21 at 16:33, Alexander Stohr wrote:
> > Let me express that i do _not_ object to any of the DRI-Devel works.
> > DRI did great job and it resolves for situations where ATI
> > cant provide solutions as of today and possibly long term.
> > Just saying embedded Radeon chipsets, ATI chipsets on BSD,
> > old ATI chipsets prior to the R200 and further any sort of
> > experimental and custom extensions to the DRI open source
> > drivers.
>
> Great to know the niche we have...

:-)

This announcement is good news for the existing/potential linux and ATI
users. They have more choice and this means that ATI values the linux
users.

Nevertheless this news hardly excites _me_, either as an user or as a
developer - I just value too much the availability of the source for
that. There is no way to tell if tomorrow ATI [or any other proprietary
solution provider] will be here to provide support for the drivers once
they no longer justify the time investment, or if they'll open up the
source by then.

I already had my [unrelated] bad experiences with proprietary solutions
and that's a path that I do my best to avoid, spite often having to
choose to less featureful solutions. This is my stance - I don't expect
that everybody shares it nor do I judge those who don't - but I know
that many do.

I would praise if ATI released the sources on a license that allowed
modifications. It would be just perfect if graphics vendors worked in
direct collaboration with the open-source community instead of doing
their own thing - as is done with many other hardware equipment.

A good binary can last a year or so. A good hardware can last up to a
life time. But the source? That's eternal.

José Fonseca