On Son, 2002-11-24 at 23:20, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In the past few months I've been noticing 2 problems with my A7M266-D
> (dual athlon) computer (2 processors installed) with its ATI Radeon
> 7500 gfx card:
>
> 1) Whenever I try to burn CD's at x20 it falls over very quickly
> (about 12MBytes).  Burning them at x8 at least gives me a chance of
> backing things up but it wasn't perfect.
>
> 2) Whenever heavy disk IO (for example when Debian reads its package
> database) is performed the whole of X hangs for tens of seconds, but
> things like alsaplayer keep playing (and don't skip a beat).

I've only ever seen X fail to update the screen for several seconds when
the system was swapping very badly. You don't mention how much RAM you
have, but I assume that shouldn't be the problem?

(well, I guess the disks not running with DMA might cause this, but then
I'd expect that to be independent of the DRM)

> Anyway, I finally got fed up of this as I was sure it didn't use
> to be this bad - so I decided to investigate.
>
> I was currently using 2.4.20-rc2-ac3 + ALSA + CVS DRI. I went back to
> the old installation of 2.4.19-pre5-ac3 and everything works fine (this
> also had ALSA and CVS DRI from about May). I then updated ALSA & DRI
> to current, and it was back to its old bad behaviour. So I tried
> 2.4.20-rc3 with the radeon.o DRM module it comes with (+ the ALSA
> drivers) and everything works fine (well, apart from DRI!). Stopping
> X, unloading the DRM module, insert the latest CVS version and start up X
> again and we are back to not being able to write CD's again.
>
> Any comments/ideas?

What's your IRQ setup? Do you use any special configuration options?