On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 22:20, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I was currently using 2.4.20-rc2-ac3 + ALSA + CVS DRI. I went back to
> the old installation of 2.4.19-pre5-ac3 and everything works fine (this
> also had ALSA and CVS DRI from about May). I then updated ALSA & DRI
> to current, and it was back to its old bad behaviour. So I tried
> 2.4.20-rc3 with the radeon.o DRM module it comes with (+ the ALSA
> drivers) and everything works fine (well, apart from DRI!). Stopping
> X, unloading the DRM module, insert the latest CVS version and start up X
> again and we are back to not being able to write CD's again.
>
> Any comments/ideas?

There are two things to check. Firstly the A7M266-D is a bit quirky
about DMA fairness. It may be that the new DRM module isnt setting
things up for access to the hardware. In paticular if the new DRM module
frobs with the configuration for the AGP bridge stuff there are
interesting dragons lurking.

The second one is utterly insane but could be involved depending how the
DRM module is implemented - if you are not using a PS/2 mouse plug one
into the machine even if you dont use it. That also fixes the IDE hangs
under high load on these boards and is a hardware problem!