On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:52:31 -0800 (PST)
Jon Smirl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Would PCI cards work right as secondary displays if
> the init code in the video BIOS was executed by X when
> the driver gets initialized? Or is this a more
> complicated problem having to do with plug and play
> OSs and resource allocation?

Actually...

I just tried it the other way round (PCIU VD3 as primary). it still
locks (apparently in an identical manner).

BUT!

when the VD3 is a secondary, X /does/ emulate the BIOS code (I see the
BIOS screen the VD3 normally prints). so perhaps thats not the problem
anyhow.

Hm. whats annoying is that both card will work in the same session - I
can run two copies of X as different displays, but only one card will
display at a time (I need to press alt-ctrl-f7|8 to choose which I will
see. I dont think this is a card init problem.

I wonder if its possible to monitor what the X windows X86 emulator is
passing to these cards so we can simply init them ourselves anyway?
perhaps we can trap accesses to PCI space? it'd be slow, but...