On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 14:56:58 -0500 (EST)
Adam K Kirchhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>       I recently upraded from an SMP VIA PIII motherboard to a UP Intel
> I845 P4 motherboard.  So far, things have gone pretty smoothly (I've
> needed to upgrade to 2.4.20 to support the new ICH4 IDE controller).
>
>       There are a few remaining issues I'm facing, and one of them has
> to do with the DRI:  it locks up this machine solid.  I have a Radeon 8500
> which worked beautifully on the VIA motherboard.  I have, of course,
> compiled agpgart with support for the i845, and it loads fine:
>
> agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
> agpgart: Detected Intel i845 chipset
> agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xd0000000
>
>       This afternoon I rebuilt and installed the entire DRI to see if
> that would solve the problem.  It did not.
>
>       Basically, if I run 'startx', the machine completely locks up.
> It no longer responds to pings, and the terminal I have from another
> machine (through kermit) is completely unresponsive.  In fact, if I start
> 'tail -f /var/log/XFree86.0.log' from the terminal before I startx,
> *nothing* is printed out before the computer locks up.

At least on my system tail -f checks the file only once every second for
new data. If I want it to respond immediately I have to use

tail -fs 0 /var/log/XFree86.0.log

>       Interestingly, though, the FireGL drivers from ATI run just fine
> on this new motherboard.
>
>       Any ideas?
>
> Adam

Felix

__Tschüß_______\_6 6_/___/__ \___/__ \___/___\___You can do anything,___
_____Felix_______\Ä/\ \_____\ \_____\ \______U___just not everything____
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    >o<__/   \___/   \___/        at the same time!