Is there any reason no to enable x86 PCI support on Radeon?

José Fonseca

----- Forwarded message from Keith Gross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 19:19:24 +0000
From: Keith Gross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Dri-users] help selecting a graphics card, and some general questions
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I don't know about the Radeon 7500 specifically but I have a Radeon 7000 PCI
and after some reseacrh have been able to get it working.  This includes
accelerated 3D.  It did require a fairish amount of work on my part.  For
those interested I basically did the following.

1). Downloaded, compiled and installed XFree 4.2.1
2). Checked out latest CVS of DRI.
3). Basically followed the compile guide from the DRI web site with the
following file changes before running the compile.
   - Edited the following file:
      - "programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati/radeon_dri.c"
      - "programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel/radeon_cp.c"
      - "programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/shared/drm/kernel/radeon_cp.c"

In each case I changed this (it's near the top) :

#if defined(__alpha__) || defined(__powerpc__)
# define PCIGART_ENABLED
#else
# undef PCIGART_ENABLED
#endif

to this :

/*
 *#if defined(__alpha__) || defined(__powerpc__)
 *# define PCIGART_ENABLED
 *#else
 *# undef PCIGART_ENABLED
 *#endif
 */
#define PCIGART_ENABLED

   - Edit the xc/config/cf/host.def file as follows
      - Uncommet the line the read :
         - #define BuildXF86DRM YES
      - Added the following at the bottom :
           #define XVendorString "Gentoo Linux (XFree86 4.2.1, revision r1)"
           #define OptimizedCDebugFlags -march=i686 -O3 -pipe
           #define OptimizedCplusplusDebugFlags -march=i686 -O3 -pipe
           #define GccWarningOptions -Wno-return-type -w
           #define HasMMXSupport   YES
           #define MesaUseMMX YES
           #define Has3DNowSupport NO
           #define MesaUse3DNow NO
           #define HasLinuxInput YES
           #define XtermWithI18N YES

4). And than as I said I followed the DRI compilation guide.  The lines at the
bottom of the host.def are probably not needed but I use Gentoo Linux and I
noticed they're install procedure placed them there before runinng the
compile of XFree so I thought I'd do the same.

Any way I now have full accelerated 2 and 3D.  Chromium, and Tuxracer run
wonderfully and I'mm thinking of installing others to start drawing the rest
of the family over to Linux so I can dump a old Windows box I've kept around
for gaming.

----- End forwarded message -----