Hello,
I don't know if this information is of any use, but I thought I'd post it
anyway.

In purpose of producing some gdb-output I started an X server without any
further function - just by running 'X', no xdm query, nothing. I'm using an
X server and OpenGL libraries built from today's DRI CVS trunk. Then I
connected as root from a remote machine and started FlightGear in gdb
(following recommendations for gdb-newbies in a posting from april this
year).

I exported DISPLAY to the local X server (:0.0) and following that I started
'fgfs' with several options - as usual. This time I added
'--enable-fullscreen' (looks really nice then). Usually the screen locks up
after 20 to 40 seconds - this time I flew several minutes - until I crashed
the plane ....

Does anyone have some suggestions what to try out to get some debug output
of interest ?

Martin.