> I exported DISPLAY to the local X server (:0.0) and following that I started
> 'fgfs' with several options - as usual. This time I added
> '--enable-fullscreen' (looks really nice then). Usually the screen locks up
> after 20 to 40 seconds - this time I flew several minutes - until I crashed
> the plane ....

The effect is reproducible (I mean, crashing the plane  :-)

I'm always running the same routine: I ssh into my workplace as root and
start a shell script that sets the DISPLAY and runs FlightGear in gdb
afterwards. So I can control gdb from remote (as long as my workplace is
alive) and log its STDOUT into a file on the remote machine.

This looks a bit interesting to me: If I start FlightGear on an 'empty' X
server it works as long a I like. If I have the X server occupied by an xdm
login window, I can't even open the FlightGear window. FlightGear gets a
'permission denied' from the X server (no cookie).

If I log into xdm as a regular user and start an X session, then I _am_
allowed to start FlightGear the way I described above (as root, _without_
any 'xhost' permission or anything else), but the X server locks at least
the screen but mostly the whole box afer less than one minute.
If only the screen gets locked (which barely happens), then I the box dies
in the moment when I kill the X server after logging in from remote.

I'll run additional tests like starting an X session via 'startx' _without_
any xdm interference - but this might have to wait a few days. Usually I'm
running an xdm standalone and starting the X server via an entry in
/etc/inittab (no /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers entry),

Martin.