Hi,

I recently upgraded the kernel on my laptop to latest for Red Hat 7.2, called
2.4.18-18.7.x.  I then tried to reinstall DRI from the latest dripkg (dated
12/4/2002). The laptop has a Mach64 Rage Mobility graphics chip. After all
these upgrades, I can no longer get hardware acceleration. The error message
in the XFree86 log is:

[drm] drmSetBusid failed (7, PCI:1:0:0), Permission denied

I checked out where this was generated from and found that the ioctl()
function in the DRM module was failing on the capable(CAP_SYS_ADMIN) call.
(drmSetBusid() calls the SET_UNIQUE ioctl which is considered a priviledged
operation.)

Basically, the capable() function just examines the cap_effective field in
the kernel's current task structure to see if the given bit is set. I added a
printk to the DRM module to see what the value of the cap_effective field is.
In the previous RH release kernel (2.4.9-34), cap_effective is 0xfffffeff
(which seems reasonable for a root owned process and does in fact include the
CAP_SYS_ADMIN bit). However, in kernel 2.4.18-18.7.x, in the drm module
(mach64.o in this case), cap_effective is just 0, so none of the capable()
checks in the DRM module succeed.

What should I do next? Report it to RH? Compile my own kernel?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Allen