On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Svante Signell wrote:

> Sorry for continuing this thread but I think there are some open issues:
>
> 1. There is a memory leak (or something similar) in the mach64 driver
>    since consecutive calls to the Xv driver fails . (With a call to a
>    GL application in between)
>
> 2. Does the lack of feedback indicate that the issue is closed
>    (i.e. bug free or not interesting or resolved)? (I know the funding
>    is non-existing for mach64 , I really appreciate the efforts from
>    Leif D.

The Xv integration isn't as high on my list as other things like DMA
security for mach64 and helping with the r128 driver in the texmem branch
(which will make it easier to add the texmem support to mach64 when we're
ready).  I made the patches available as a stop-gap solution, but I'd
rather focus my energy on the DRI code right now.  We've still got a good
deal of work to do to get mach64 merged into the DRI trunk -- there's a
lot of new stuff in the trunk to merge once we get DMA sorted out.  Once
that happens, I can spend more time looking at the XVideo stuff (plus
getting the driver into mainline XFree86 will mean the GATOS folks can
also work on the XVideo integration).  Of course, you're welcome to do
some more debugging and send me patches if you find any solutions.

So, that being said: I think there are two separate problems.  One is what
happens when an XVideo app is running and a GL program is started,
stealing away enough offscreen memory to cause the XVideo app to crash (or
vice versa).  That's a question of how to handle that failure case where
there aren't enough resources for both XVideo and GL and something has to
give.  I see this as a robustness issue and not necessarily a serious bug.
It can be worked around by using a lower resolution or not running GL and
XVideo apps at the same time, until a better solution can be worked out.

The other problem is the one you're describing where a GL app seems to be
leaking memory.  This is a more serious bug if that's what's happening.
However, I wasn't able to reproduce that case, so I haven't made any
headway on that.

> 3. There is some texmem stuff going on in the main path, is this
> affecting the mach65-0.0.5 branch?

As I mentioned above, when we're ready to merge the mach64 branch to the
trunk, we'll be converting the driver over to the texmem changes.  Since
the mach64 is based on the r128 driver, getting r128 working should make
it easier.

> Maybe I should buy a new graphics card, such as Radeon 9000 (or an
> Nvidia one, god forgive) instead of bothering with old cards?? (even if
> they work properly)

If you don't have a laptop that's always an option.  You can also get
low-end Radeon or Rage128 for under $50 (US) now.

--
Leif Delgass
http://www.retinalburn.net