Erling A. Jacobsen wrote:
Alan Cox wrote:

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 16:45, Erling A. Jacobsen wrote:

The good old Mesa-3.4.2 can be Voodoo Graphics enabled by having
it include the FX subdirectory, so why shouldn't it still work ?

Its possible to write a DRI driver layer for the Voodoo1/Voodoo2
X server. Nobody has done so and I can't see anyone bothering given
the age of the cards and the complexity required to handle all the
locking and verification constraints the hardware has.

Perhaps the dri-devel list isn't the right place to be, because
what I have in mind is indeed not a DRI driver, rather a modification
of the version of Mesa which DRI uses if there's no hardware-accelerated
DRI-driver available. But still, this is where the people who
know most about Mesa, XFree86, DRI and the integration between these
systems are ...

A more practical approach would probably be to add server side hardware rendering facilities to the rendering code in the X
server. That is pretty much essential for the very old cards which
are not designed to work with direct rendering.

This is my theory: DRI hands the task of rendering to Mesa when there
is no support in DRI itself. Mesa (at least the Mesa in XFree86 in Red Hat Linux 7.3) doesn't know any other way of rendering than SW-rendering.

Is that somewhat correct ?

If it is, then why not import into XFree86-Mesa the ability to use
a VG-card which stand-alone-Mesa has (when compiled with the correct
options enabled, and linked with Glide etc) ?
In principle, a DRI driver for the Voodoo cards is feasible, but I doubt that anyone has the time or ambition to do it. It's _not_ as simple as including the "FX" source files into the DRI tree (not by a long shot).

I'll probably be dropping support for the "FX" driver sometime this year. Few people use that hardware anymore.

-Brian