Philip Brown wrote:
On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 06:04:19PM -0600, D. Hageman wrote:

Your argument is bogus. You can't claim that every XML file format leads to unreadable files. Now, if you have a good *technical* reasons why we shouldn't use XML - I would love to hear them.
Looks like you dont understand.

"technical reasons" are NOT the only reasons that should be considered when
evaluating config file formats.
Config files are (at least on UNIX systems) generally targetted at
users being able to edit them. by hand.

*users*, not developers.
I'd like to point out that the whole point of this exercise is so that we can make a configuration utility for tuning driver parameters. The data in the configuration file would be exchanged primarilly by programs. The configuration utility would read data (in whatever format) from the driver describing the available options and their possible values and would write the user's preferences to the config file (in whatever format). On application start-up libGL would read the config file and pass the settings (depending on what application is being run) into libGL.

We'd like to provide people using Maya or playing Quake with a interface more like YanC than vi.

http://yanc.sourceforge.net/index-en.html#screenshots