Damien Miller wrote:
Philip Brown wrote:

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:18:43PM +0100, Felix Kühling wrote:

If anyone has serious objections to XML, please let us know (mail to
dri-devel will suffice ;-).
I object. Using xml inevitably leads to files that are completely
human-unreadable, except perhaps to the original developers.
Please stick with ye olde standard XF86Config type format.
It  could be better, but it is CERTAINLY better than XML.
Perhaps it would be better if there was an example of the type of configuration that would be expressed in the putative configuration file.

Why would an XFree86 (which I don't much like) or a simple

[blah]
foo=bar
bb={sheep, cows, emus}

type format be insufficient?
A win.ini type file format was initially considered. In fact, the Kyro binary-only drivers for Linux use this type of format for this same purpose. Using a win.ini format was my first idea, if for no other reason than to follow the precedent of the Kyro drivers. There were two reasons this was rejected, neither of which was relevant for the people making the Kyro drivers.

We would like to have a single configuration file for all cards in a system. Each of these cards may have differenent hardware and want different settings. Sections in the config file need a way to signal that they are global settings (apply to all cards) or which card / screen they are for. We need the same type of selection based on application. Users will likely want to tune differently for Maya than for UT 2k3. That basically gives us a sparse 2D matrix of configurations. There's no logical way to do this with a win.ini file, but we could do it with something that is heirarchical and semi-free form.

The other reason we rejected a win.ini format is that we want the driver to describe the available options to the configuration utility using the same or similar file format as the configuration file. A win.ini format just didn't feel like a good fit for that purpose.