> You say "the system locks."  Is it a total-death hard lock?  Do you have
> another box that could SSH in?  It might be intereting to run the app in
> gdb to see where it's wedged.

I think it could be an app lock, but as with GL unless the screen is
reset, you can't tell just by looking at it, unfortunatly I don't have
another box I can ssh over from to find out.

As I said glxgears works fine for long periods of time.

System memory was tested for 10 hours about 36 hours ago, no errors
occured (with memtest86).

A bios upgrade (although improved glxgears fps by 33%) didn't resolve
the issue either.

The card works flawlessly in windows so it aint the card itself.

An strace of quakeforge shows that something (no clue to what it is dure
to nature of strace reporting) bails out without resetting the card,
probably mesa or dri cause QF has a "signal" shutdown process that
resets the screen which aint being triggered.

On the other hand gltron and tuxracer hardlock the system (power button
dont even work).

I know it doesn't help much but I really don't have more info on it yet,
could be related to all the dma issues that I've seen being talked about
for all I know.