So I finally got home and gave DRI on NetbSD on try.  Unfortunately, I'm
not having any luck.

The first two times I loaded the radeon kernel module, and then started X,
the entire machine locked, require me to hit the reset button.  The 3rd
time I got around to hooking up a laptop to the serial port on this
machine, and used kermit to log in.  I tailed the /var/log/XFree86.0.log
file, but this time around, my machine didn't lock up, but neither was
Direct Rendering enabled.  Instead, I got:

[drm] failed to load kernel module "radeon"
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.
(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled

It says it failed to load the kernel module, but I made sure to load the
module first, as Eric said.

[ adamk@sorrow - ~ ]: modstat
Type    Id   Offset Loadaddr Size Info     Rev Module Name
DEV       0  -1/34  e403f000 0048 e404fb60   1 radeon

And /dev/dri/card0 *does* exist.

I'll keep playing with it some more tonight or tomorrow.

Adam