On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 03:00:03PM -0500, Daniel Vogel wrote:
> > So what is the best design for achieving this? The
> > project has to have DRI at it's core since it's the
> > only choice for 3D acceleration on Linux.
>
> Ironically, the only real choice for 3D acceleration on Linux is using
> NVIDIA and ATI's (non DRI) binary drivers.

AFAIK that is incorrect: ATI drivers are DRI based. They only aren't
Mesa based. NVIDIA is the only one which has a proprietary solution
altogether.

> Does DRI have a future with neither NVIDIA nor ATI participating? Are
> people actually talking to them about why they don't use it and what
> has to be done to remedy this fact? Shouldn't this be a top priority?
>
> Without support for recent cards, DRI will become completely obsolete.

This is non-sense. Please enumerate the IHVs that participated on early
Linux development.  By your thinking Linux shouldn't exist as it was
doomed from the start.

Regarding the trend of the linux drivers being written by the
manufacturer, I think it's mainly a sign that Linux is becoming a market
important enough to dedicate developers to it. They are just doing what
they do for all other platforms.

With this I'm not saying I'm happy with this trend. Of course I'm not. I
don't like to be locked in closed-source solutions, which I can't
control. But I'm sure that if there was to avoid this trend, that would
have happened.

Even if DRI stops being the main source of 3D drivers for Linux/BSD, it
will remain to be the main source of _open_source_ 3D drivers. That,
alone, gives DRI a competitive advantage over any other solution. Just
in the same way that it has given Linux, Apache, XFree86, and many other
successful OSS projects.

Bare in mind that OSS developers don't need absolute market dominance of
the software they write. They obviously enjoy that what they write is
widely used - it means that is useful -, but they don't depend on it.

José Fonseca