Philip Brown wrote:
On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 11:59:50AM -0600, Andy Isaacson wrote:

The 64-bit kernel is perfectly capable of running 32-bit binaries, and
that's precisely what you're doing.

Yes. And that's exactly what DRI users will do. So right there is a 64/32 bit problem.

[snip]

So kernel will be compiled with offset=64bits, user mode will be compiled
with offset=32bits... boom.

All numeric fields passed through the ioctls, should have fixed,
identifiable sizes.

Ah. So this isn't just a 64-bit arch problem. It's a mixed 32/64 problem. That's different. What happens on Linux is the 32-bit apps go through some sort of ioctl thunking layer to convert the 32-bit ioctls to the native 64-bit ioctls. I know that this is done for IA-64 and PPC64. It will also have to be done for x86-64.

Can somebody explain exactly how this works on Linux? I'm still a little fuzzy on it. Is there some way that DRI could handle this "genericly" for supporting other operating systems? I'm sure that Solaris and *BSD don't handle it quite the same way that Linux does.

For Philip, I would suggest getting 64-bit apps to work with a 64-bit kernel before trying to tackle mixed-mode. You've got enough work to port DRI to SPARC Solaris as it is! :)