On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 22:15, Philip Brown wrote:
> > I believe DaveM's DRM for the sparc64 linux is quite happy with
> > mixed 32/64 user space.
>
> Probably it has the same size for "unsigned long" in both 32 and 64 bit
> modes.

I don't think so. I think the DRM ioctls get munged properly

> "It works" is not the same as "it works cleanly".
> APIs should be fixed, concrete definitions. The struct definitions in drm.h
> are essentially part of the API (or ABI, whatever), and they are not fixed.
> They should be cleaned up.

You can never achieve that on a wide cross platform OS. Little things like
struct padding, alignment rules and so on get in the way now and then. There
is an additional consideration because x86 is -horrible- at 64bit ops, gcc
manages to do it quite badly at times too making it even uglier.

Either way having typedefs for these so they can stay unsigned long and
munged on x86 versus enforced 64bit on solaris doesn't seem to cause any
problems.

For some of the DRM API's I'd agree with you - they don't hit the
performance considerations. However we already have an API and most
XFree86 4.1/4.2/4.3 drivers [1] all run with the 4.3 DRM. You'd break that
by changing the types.

Alan
[1] i810 breaks 44.1 to 4.2 and 4.2 to 4.3 8(