In short, I don't see why everyone is so keen to accept C++ but only if it is
> somehow hobbled from the onset?  C++ is a tool.  Tools work best when the
> right one is chosen for the job, the tip is sharp, and the handle is not
> splintered or cut off.  If the problem does not map into something C++ solves

The problem certainly maps into an object model well. It seems to map well into
"C with classes". Whether you should go further is more the question. C with
classes is a tool just like full C++.

I'd argue strongly in favour of the former or a C with structs for the virtual
operation sets for performance reasons, and because its easier for embedded
devices than hauling in the entire C++ and STL class libraries. Its much easier
to make it work and look at features conservatively than try and remove them later.

Ultimately its sort of irrelevant he who writes the code wins the argument. And
rightfully so.