On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 12:37:17PM -0800, Ian Romanick wrote:

> This could also pave the way for the X server to use the new memory
> manager that is being developed.  We could make some sort of a conduit
> for the X server to call into the DRI driver to allocate graphics / AGP
> memory.  There are other ways to achieve this, but this would be an easy
> way.

Please do not do this. Choose the "clean" way, not the "easy" way.

There are already AGP (and memory alloc) related calls in the X server
framework; xf86BindGARTMemory(), xf86EnableAGP(), etc.

The core X server should not be making calls into extension modules.
Extension modules should be making calls to xfree-exported functions.
If there arent sufficient xfree-exported functions, extend or add new ones.