Ian Romanick wrote:
Alan Hourihane wrote:

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 11:27:17PM +0000, Keith Whitwell wrote:

Alan Hourihane wrote:

If there's any architectural reason why we can't use XFree86's module
loader for OS indepence here ?
The whole point of the drmCommand*() interface is that it's portable, so
I don't see any reason to use OS specific functions like dlopen in this
case.

Unless there is some quantifiable reason.

The goal is to load the same piece of code in both places, so that would require that the radeon_dri.so object became an XFree86 module, and that the XFree86 module loader was also incorporated into libGL.so.

O.k. That seems like a good goal to aim for.

That seems like a big step, and would obviously break compatibility with older libGL.so's.

I don't think it's that big a step, and the advantages are enourmous in maintenance.

I don't think that requiring people to upgrade their libGL.so and their driver binary at the same time is a big deal. It's espcially not a big deal given that the user will have to update their GLX module anyway to get the full benefit.

I think an additional goal is to be able to use the same driver binary with the miniGLX. Would that be possible if the XFree86 module format was used?

No, that will be strictly dlopen() based.

Keith