Jens-
I agree with you, supporting HW accelerated indirect rending would be a good
thing.

> Take a look at the DRI high level design doc:
>
>    http://dri.sourceforge.net/doc/design_high_level.html
>
> In section 4.3, Indirect Rendering, there's a section on Multi-rendering
> in a single address space.

Caution, newbie question! Indirect rendering doesn't currently get its own
thread, does it?  It does affect interactivity, but I'm curious how much of
the benefit you'd gain would be from making it direct, and how much of the
benefit would be from moving GLX requests to a second thread.

>   [KHLS94] Mark J. Kilgard, Simon Hui, Allen A Leinwand, and Dave
>    Spalding.  X Server Multi-rendering for OpenGL and PEX.  8th Annual X
>    Technical Conference, Boston, Mass., January 25, 1994.  Available from
>    <http://reality.sgi.com/opengl/multirender/multirender.html>.

I sent Kilgard a note asking him if he knows of an archived copy. It's a
damn shame reality.sgi.com went down before it got into the google cache.

Suzy Deffeyes