Chris Rankin wrote:
Hi,

I have heard from the xscreensaver maintainer, after I
mentioned that I could run OpenGL xscreensaver hacks
by doing (e.g.)

$ flyingtoasters -root

but that they all failed when launched from
xscreensaver. His reply was:

The window that it's drawing on might have a
different visual ID, if the ID printed by
"xscreensaver-gl-helper" is not the default visual
(according to xdpyinfo.)

If that's the case, you can't run GL hacks on your
real root window (only on a virtual root window) and
there's nothing you can do about it

Well, xscreensaver-gl-helper gives:

$ xscreensaver-gl-helper 0x25

But xdpyinfo says:

$ xdpyinfo
[...]

So xscreensaver needs visual 0x25 but the default
visual is 0x23. Now I'm not entirely sure what's
happening here, but the xscreensaver author does imply
that this is definitely a driver issue.

An issue perhaps, but not a bug.

There's no X or GLX policy that says the root window must use a GLX visual that features a depth buffers, stencil buffer, alpha channel, double-buffering, etc.

-Brian