--- Brian Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Any application which depends upon the root window
> having particular GLX attributes is in error.

It's a screensaver. Using the root window would seem
to be a requirement here. So what you're really saying
is "Who cares if you can't perform OpenGL / direct
rendering on the root window?". And the answer is
"Everyone who runs xscreensaver, for a start!".

Do other graphics cards have this problem?

> > You have just killed OpenGL screensavers
> > with the G400, for example, and goodness knows
> > what else.
>
> *I* did?  Give me a break.

That's "you" as in "DRI developers". Not "you"
personally. (Not to my knowledge, anyway.)

> > You can play semantics and say it isn't a bug,
> > but it is definitely a regression that will be
> > very unpopular with a lot of Matrox users.
>
> I wouldn't call it a regression either.

Did work before, doesn't work now. That's the very
*definition* of a regression.

> > b) The screensavers don't segfault because there's
> > no suitable visual available. They seem to do so
> > while trying to activate the indirect rendering
> > instead. This is presumably why the rest of the
> > OpenGL hacks flash the "libGL error: InitDriver
> > failed" message on the screen and then run very
> > slowly. And segfaults are always bugs.

> It sounds like there might be a broader issue here.
> What does 'glxinfo' report?  Does glxgears run with
> hardware acceleration?

$ glxgears -info
GL_RENDERER   = Mesa DRI G400 20020221 AGP 4x
x86/MMX/SSE
GL_VERSION    = 1.2 Mesa 4.0.4
GL_VENDOR     = VA Linux Systems Inc.
GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture
GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_env_add
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra
GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_polygon_offset
GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_texture3D
GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_object
GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip
GL_MESA_window_pos GL_NV_texgen_reflection
GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap
4155 frames in 5.0 seconds = 831.000 FPS
4122 frames in 5.0 seconds = 824.400 FPS
4116 frames in 5.0 seconds = 823.200 FPS
4099 frames in 5.0 seconds = 819.800 FPS

I'm guessing "yes", but then, why wouldn't it? It's
not running on the root window.

I have already posted the output from glxinfo to this
list, together with a back-trace from one of the
SIGSEGV cores and the DEBUG output from the mga.o
kernel module while running the "atlantis" hack.
(Atlantis is one that seems to switch to indirect
rendering rather than crashing.)

Chris