Brian Paul wrote:
Denis Oliver Kropp wrote:

Quoting Brian Paul ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

src/
mesa/
glapi/
glapi*.[ch] - dispatcher files
APIspec file gl*.py - Python API scripts
main/ - core Mesa sources
attrib.c
context.c
enable.c
CPU detection code
transform/ - was tnl
t_*.[ch]
X86/3Dnow code
math/ - math/vector routines
m_*.[ch]
swrast/ - s/w rasterization
s_*.[ch]
mmx_blend.S
swsetup/ - was swrast_setup
ss_*.[ch]
arraycache/ - vertex array stuff
ac_*.[ch]
drivers/
common/ - reusable driver code
and transform_dd/ files
x11/ - X11 (XMesa) driver
osmesa/ - OSMesa driver
swfbdev/ - software fbdev driver
radeon/ - DRI/fbdev driver
radeon-es/ - subset radeon fbdev driver
r200/ ...
mga/ - DRI/fbdev driver
windows/
beos/
ggi/
glide/ - was FX driver
dos/
dri/ - es dri code

Oops, dri/ is indented one tab too far, and probably not named very well. It should be probably be src/dri-es/ since it implements DRI facilities for the embedded subset.

I think the DRI drivers should be moved into the dri/ directory
which itself should be in the drivers/ directory, because drivers/
contains the public APIs of Mesa, e.g. OSMesa, fxMesa etc.
The dri/ directory will contain windowing system independent code
as a public interface to the DRI drivers. The DRI drivers won't be
used by applications directly.

My suggestion:

            drivers/
                common/        - reusable driver code
                          and transform_dd/ files
                x11/        - X11 (XMesa) driver
                osmesa/        - OSMesa driver
                swfbdev/    - software fbdev driver
                windows/
                beos/
                ggi/
                glide/        - was FX driver
                dos/
                dri/        - dri driver interface
                    common/        - reusable driver code
                    radeon/        - DRI/fbdev driver
                    r200/        - DRI/fbdev driver
                    mga/        - DRI/fbdev driver

Where do you propose that the files currently in Mesa/src/dri/ (such as dri_glx.c, glxclient.h, etc) belong? src/dri-es/ is the place I was planning on.

I'm trying to keep the tree fairly shallow (one of the things that intimidates people about the XFree86/DRI tree is its size and depth) so I'm not sure we need drivers/dri/ yet.

I agree with the idea of keeping things as shallow as possible, but Denis' proposal does address the issue that I had earlier in terms of the way some of the drivers are windowsystem+drivers and some are just (dri) drivers.

This way all the things in drivers/ would be equivalent objects.

Also, I want to try to keep all source files as leaves in the tree. That is, a directory foo/ won't contain both files and subdirs; just one or the other.

This is another worthy goal, however...

Keith