Bryan Taylor wrote:

I have never written any flavor of driver before, but I would like to learn how so that I can help out here. I know C and C++ fairly well (FYI -- I'm 19 but I have been working in industry for 2 years). I have a decent amount of time to spend on learning and/or coding, and I am looking forward to giving something back to all the people who have made my hardware perform better than it ever did with that "Other OS". If someone could point me in any sort of direction, then I would be grateful.

The developer FAQ on http://dri.sourceforge.net/ is a good place to start. You might also start attending the weekly meetings on #dri-devel. The initial purpose of those meetings was for newbies to ask the more experienced developers questions. Now most of that batch of newbies is pretty experienced. :)

I guess the first question is what hardware are you most interested in working on?