> You're right D3D does let you do that.  And I have yet to
> hear a single ISV or IHV say, "I really like this
> functionality.  It kicks butt!"

Caps bit for D3D aren't really that useful as certain drivers lie about them
so you'll most likely end up with a relation of cards, driver versions and
features. Vendor and device ids in combination with driver versions make
this very easy in D3D as they're all standardized. With OpenGL it's a bit
messy if you want to say e.g. work around a R100 driver bug on certain
versions of MacOS X... lots and lots of unintuitive string compares.

FWIW, (thankfully) there are no software rasterization fallbacks with D3D
though some of the caps bits should've been left out from the beginning
(e.g. MaxPrimitiveCount and one might argue about MaxTextureRepeat).

In a perfect world OpenGL had a *unified* way to expose vendor/device/driver
and D3D had fewer caps bits to worry about.

Herb Marselas gave a great talk about HW compatibility for Age Of Mythology
at Meltdown - maybe the slides are available somewhere.

-- Daniel, Epic Games Inc.