What do you think about trying to remove all X specific references from the
drivers since the drivers can go into environments like DirectFB which don't
have GLX? The standalone versions already do this. There is only minor usage of
X declarations in the drivers.

The other goal of removing X specific code would be to allow the same binary
drivers to be used in multiple environments such as XFree, DirectFB, or a new
windowing systems. It would be easy to write an SDL wrapper.

I'm currently using this API, I don't care if we change it, I just wanted to
avoid X variables like Display*. This is all checked into mesa
/newtree/src/mesa/drivers/dri/r200.  Radeon versions work and I think MGA
works. R128 does not work.

void *__driCreateScreen(struct DRIDriverRec *driver,
                        struct DRIDriverContextRec *driverContext);
GLboolean r200CreateContext( const __GLcontextModes *glVisual,
                             __DRIcontextPrivate *driContextPriv,
                             void *sharedContextPrivate);
GLboolean r200CreateBuffer( __DRIscreenPrivate *driScrnPriv,
                  __DRIdrawablePrivate *driDrawPriv,
                  const __GLcontextModes *mesaVis,
                  GLboolean isPixmap )
int radeonInitContextModes( const DRIDriverContext *ctx,
                                   int *numModes, const __GLcontextModes
**modes)

The only other area is glxextensions. It should be simple to still provide
glxextensions capability but isolate the drivers from X header files.

The standalone version supports a subset GLX interface, it is implemented in
src/glx/mini. This code refers to the X header files to implement GLX.

=====
Jon Smirl