> I did some basic work on factoring out the common code and
> discussed it
> with Thomas Winischhofer (Sis maintainer and driving force behind
> mergedfb development).  He is of the opinion that it is still
> too early
> to create a generic API for mergedfb.  There is still no consensus on
> what the final look should be and whether or not we have a flexible
> enough model right now.  Plus there are some new features in the
> pipeline that may require some reworking of the current common code
> (absolute offsets and panning domains).  It's more of a pain
> to have to
> constantly update the common code.  So at the moment I guess I'm
> inclined to agree.  thoughts?
>
> Alex

you would wonder how other developers could enjoy having
a look on your updates at the time that they do happen.
nothing worse than a driver which is based on that design
but is outdated by weeks or even months relative to the
top of the tree of your ongoing development.

i would suggest having all your works going on in a CVS
repository, prefereably some development branch like
the texmem one. as the whole discussion takes place
here at dri-devel and the major benefits seem to be
(at least for me) on the dri project's behalf,
i would vote for basing it at the dri's CVS server system.
(lets hope that thing is working reliable for the next time.)

to clarify, i would not mind having such a tree undergoing
deep changes in a short time - anyone who wants can take
an older snapshot or do its snapshot himselves. its just
the point of sharing will improve any sort of growth here.

of course there can be personal reasons like not beeing
friend of CVS, having lots of broken code for long times
or just the fact that a shared code database does need
some sort of merger with other people's code any now and
then. my personal expirience is that a compile any now
and then plus some people that are testing such a codebase
for functionality is a sufficient means for good results.

-Alex.