Jacek Rosik wrote:
W liście z wto, 30-09-2003, godz. 19:29, Alan Hourihane pisze:

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 07:21:14PM +0200, Jacek Rosik wrote:

W liście z wto, 30-09-2003, godz. 18:52, Alan Hourihane pisze:

In radeon_dri.c in the TransitionTo2d/3d there's some offscreen memory
allocation going on for info->backArea and info->depthTexArea.

The trouble is - I can't see anywhere where these allocations are actually
used.

Are these leftovers ??

Alan.

Hi

These are used used by 3D driver back depth/stencil buffers and texture
memory. This memory is reserved so it wont get overwritten by 2D driver.
It is used by means of RADEONInfoRec::frontOffset,
RADEONInfoRec::backOffset etc... It can be freed if no 3D is active.

Not from what I can see. The allocation of back, depth/stencil is done
in radeon_driver.c before passing what's left onto the FBManager. These
areas are pointed to by info->backOffset, info->depthOffset and info->textureOffset.

These offsets are only calculated. Only front buffer area is allocated,
rest is left to be allocated only on demand. Memory manager is
initialised  to maximum possible memory then area for framebuffer is
reserved. Lines necessary for other buffers is only calculated.

This is my understanding also. We used to statically allocate the buffers, but Mark V. changed it so the driver frees the memory for use as pixmap cache/whatever when there are no active 3d contexts.

This is less good in some respects than dynamically allocated private back and depth buffers, but it has the nice effect of not crippling 2d when 3d is not active.

Keith