On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 16:02:53 -0700
Eric Anholt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 13:55, Felix Kühling wrote:
> > On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:14:32 -0700
> > Eric Anholt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Okay, I was going to merge trunk to the savage-1_0_0-branch, since
> > > updates to the savage driver in trunk help out with that work I've been
> >
> > Are you referring to the patch that Rafael Máximo sent yesterday? I was
> > going to look at it, but I didn't have time yet. After a quick glance it
> > looks like it reverts lots of changes S3 made to the driver.
> >
> > > told.  I went to the CvsPolicy wiki page and based on that did a tag on
> > > the savage branch of savage-1_0_0-trunk-premerge.  Then I did cvs update
> > > -d -j HEAD.  It ran for a while, and produced a large number of
> > > conflicts.  Why should there be conflicts in files that weren't touched
> > > by the savage-branch?  Is there a way to avoid having to deal with all
> > > of those?
> >
> > This is probably related to keyword substitutions. There is a node
> > "Merging and keywords" in the CVS info documentation. Basically you
> > should add "-kk" to the cvs update command line. This way keywords are
> > not substituded and can't cause phantom conflicts.
>
> The -kk didn't seem to help at all (cvs up -kk -d -j HEAD).  I still got
> "C " in 537 files.

Same problems here. I'm trying to merge the trunk to the config branch.
It is strange that cvs even attempts to merge files that I never
committed any new revisions for on the branch. I also checked that I
don't have any accidental local changes before I started. On some (many)
of the files that I didn't change rcsmerge reports conflicts. I don't
know what's going on. Is it a problem with my client or with the server?
I can't imagine that this is normal CVS operation :-/ The fact that
we're both having the same problems would point to the server.

I'm working on a TCL script that "resolves" conflicts automatically. It
just copies the new versions and discards the old ones. To be used on
directories that you are sure were not changed on the branch.

> --
> Eric Anholt                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Felix

 Felix       ___\_e -_/___/ __\___/ __\_____   You can do anything,
   Kühling  (_____\Ä/____/ /_____/ /________)  just not everything
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]       \___/   \___/   U        at the same time.