Hi,

I've had some problems with certain DRI applications occasionally
corrupting fonts in programs that use Xft.  The corruption was
noticeable after the DRI program exited.  Strangely, it could be
mitigated by running another different DRI program afterwards; this
seems to be the only way to get rid of the corruption (moving the window
off screen or minimizing/maximizing it doesn't work).

Here are the steps to reproduce with 100% success for me:
- Install licq (1.2.7 here)
- Install the Qt licq plugin
- Choose the "bheart" skin for licq-qt
- Ensure that anti-aliases fonts are being used (QT_XFT=1)
- Run either Quake2 (0.2.1) or crack-attack (1.1.9)
- Exit the game

Voila, your fonts should now be corrupted in that program. (The rest of
the pixmaps are okay).  crack-attack seems to corrupt worse than quake2.
Now, run Unreal Tournament (UTPG latest version, which coincidentally
still won't display a mouse cursor for me in recent mga DRI driver).
After exiting UT, the corruption is gone 2 out of 3 times.

I can also reproduce it using pan (with GDK_USE_XFT on) but the licq case is
the most blindingly obvious.

This has been going on for probably over a year now so I'd like to start
heading towards a solution if possible.

I am running Debian with Michel's XFree86 4.3.99 DRI trunk package, a
recent DRM modules, 2.4.23 kernel, and a MGA G400 MAX.  The same thing
happened with previous MGA G400 16MB.  I think something in the mga DRI
driver is stomping on memory used for the fonts, but only under certain
circumstances (triggered by e.g. quake2 and crack-attack).

any ideas?

--
Ryan Underwood, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>