By "turn off HW render", you mean RenderAccel "off", or NoAccel "on" ?

BTW, I should clarify my previous post by saying that the fonts across
_all_ Xft applications are corrupted when any of them is corrupted by
DRI usage; no other non-AA fonts or pixmap data are affected, however.
It is only AA fonts, and across _all_ AA applications when it occurs.

Would installing a debug X server help track the cause of the corruption
down?