[replying to multiple people]

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/S3/s3tc.txt

> Note that the alpha decompression of DXT5 (in txformat_tmp.h) is
> horribly broken - stupid bug, the version from the earlier patch is
> actually correct (games likely never need this).

The sole reason of using DXT5 over DXT1, apart from working around below
mentioned HW "features" on GeForce 1-4 cards, is using the alpha channel and
we most certainly make a lot of use of the alpha channel of DXT3/5 textures
and I would expect other games do the same.

> further (you can get better than 16bit color accuracy by means of the
> calculated colors, provided the GPU does the decoding in more
> than 16bit).

To the best of my knowledge the only GPUs that don't do this are NVIDIA's
GeForce 1-4 cards with DXT1 (they use 32 bit precision for DXT3/5). You
definitely want to use 32 bit for doing the color1/color2 blending as the
artifacts are quite noticeable for e.g. lightmaps.

> dark gray, light gray or white... The improved encoder I have here
> improves this a bit, but fundamentally it seems to be a hard

Check out NVIDIA's encoder as a reference as it is the best out there.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nv_texture_tools.html

-- Daniel, Epic Games Inc.