> Yes certainly. But software decompression of textures really should
> never happen in games (performance of software rasterization really

FWIW, that's how we handle support for cards that don't support texture
compression as we store our textures pre- compressed. I agree though that it
doesn't make sense to expose the extension if the hardware can't handle it.
The app is much better suited to work around the lack of texture compression
than DRI/Mesa.

BTW, Kyro I/II is an interesting example as they expose
GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc though only implement DXT1 in hardware.

> isn't good...), and I don't think current games have much use for
> reading back decompressed textures.

Correct.

> I did take a look there earlier but

Sorry, I meant as a quality reference.