Hi,

I just plugged the Savage4 into my box and gave it a go. I'm trying to
give a complete summary of what I noticed so far. First a few notes
about the card and my setup:

The card has only one DVI port, no VGA. I assume that this port outputs
analog and digital signals. However, I can only test the digital output
so far as I don't have a DVI to VGA adapter. My DFP has a resolution of
1280x1024.

1. Bootup, text mode, graphics mode

The card seems to detect the resolution of my flat pannel and always
outputs 1280x1024 pixels. Except the first BIOS screen that checks
memory, disks etc. is 640x480 and I can select the scaling mode on my
DFP. Text mode only occupies only about 1/4 of the screen area in the
middle. No matter which scaling mode I choose on my DFP, the result is
the same. Graphics modes in X are scaled by the graphics card to
1280x1024, the DFP controls have no effect.

2. Savage driver from DRI trunk (2D only)

Works without problems. The image quality is perfect as to be expected
on a digital port.

3. Savage driver from the savage-2-0-0-branch - 2D

What I mentioned about the chip scaling graphics modes up to 1280x1024
above is only half the truth with this driver. It is what happens the
first time the Xserver is started after bootup. If I restart the Xserver
or switch VTs it starts getting things slightly wrong. In the standard
mode it looks like it's scaling 1279x1024 of frame buffer up to
1280x1024. So in the middle of the screen vertical lines look blured. It
gives a very strange aliasing effect on the standard X raster
background.

4. Savage driver from the savage-2-0-0-branch - 3D

The first time I ran glxgears it locked up after a few seconds. My
overclocked FSB seemed to be the cause. Clocking it down to normal
100MHz (was 111) fixed this. Now glxgears gets about 570 fps in linear
mode, 540 in tiled mode. 3D is pretty stable. It locked up only once
more when I experimented with quake3 for a while. Before the lockup
there was some strange noise in form of vertical blured lines flashing
over the screen for a few seconds. So it may be a hardware problem,
maybe overheating. Maybe using a lower AGP mode could help too. Though
the AGP mode setting code is commented out in savage_driver.c, IIRC.

In all apps I tried so far textures look messed up like you described
before (fonts, lightmaps, normal textures, everything AFAICT). I tried
quakeforge, q3demo, tuxracer and fgfs. In addition to that I saw the
same corruption of small mipmap levels in quakeforge that I noticed on
the ProSavageDDR in my notebook before.

With torcs I got a segfault on startup. The backtrace ends in the span
code on LOCALVARS. I believe that it's a problem with the torcs splash
screen that is single buffered. Maybe the drawables aren't initialized
correctly, or LOCALVARS makes assumptions that are not true in single
buffered mode.

That's all for now. I'm going to try the SavageIX next.

Regards,
  Felix