Ok,

I plugged this Savage IX into my box now. The best way to work with it
for now seems to be to explicitly set a virtual desktop size. It will
only show 640x480. The CrtOnly option is not really helpful ATM.

I did some first tests with 3D. First it used to hang in WAIT_FOR_FIFO
and later in getDMAPage. This seems to be due to different status
register layouts of the SavageIX. Also the driver used an alternative
status register that doesn't seem to exist on older savages. I think I
got WAIT_FOR_FIFO to work with some info from the UtahGLX driver. And I
switched to pure BCI without DMA, as a shortcut. Now the system locks up
hard when I start glxgears. :( It's pretty hard to find out what causes
the lockup at this point. Tim Roberts mentioned a bug in Savage4 and
ProSavages that causes lockups when reading the Fifo Status regs, but he
didn't mention Savage IX in this context. Also, I tested BCI-only
operation successfully on my ProSavage (not too thoroughly, though).

The only idea I have right now is to try to write a small standalone
programme using some 3D driver fragments that programs the savage IX
directly. That should allow me to find out step-by-step what works and
what doesn't. I expect this to take a few weeks until I have enough info
to adapt the 3D driver to work with savageIX without locking up all the
time. If anyone has alternative ideas how to tackle this, I'm open to
suggestions.

Regards,
  Felix