--- Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Oh, and let me add that the notion of moving the console fully
> to userland is definitely not something that has been accepted.
>
> It is interesting to evaluate the solution, but lots of kernel
> folks will just turn it down for some simple reasons, like not
> beeing able to printk bug reports from interrupt time :)

There are lots of solutions to this:
1) queue the printk's
2) add an in-kernel path for write to console that cooperates with the normal
user space one
3) if you know you are going to be debugging code like this, use an alternative
solution like the serial port or a second video card running framebuffer.,

You can't see a kernel oops from an interrupt when running XWindows any way.

I'm sure an expert kernel hacker can come up with 10 more solutions. Let's work
together to try and solve these problems.

> Some people are also quite opposed to the idea in the first place.
> So while I agree it is an interesting concept, it shall not be
> made exclusive in the design.
>
> Ben.

=====
Jon Smirl