In my test system I run X from a PCI ATI Rage128, my target is a AGP Radeon
9000. So when I boot the Rage gets initialized and the Radeon does not. When you
load the Radeon DRM driver it will detect that the Radeon is not initialized in
the hotplug event. To make the reset automatic you need a link from
/etc/hotplug.d/dri/v86bios.hotplug to the v86bios binary.

If you run the v86bios binary from the command line it is expecting an
environment like this:
export ACTION=add
export PCI_CLASS=30000
export PCI_ID=1002:4966
export PCI_SLOT_NAME=0000:01:00.0
export PCI_SUBSYS_ID=148C:2039
export DEVPATH=/class/dri/card0
export RESET=true
export SEQNUM=161

then run "v86bios dri"

Of course if the Radeon has already been reset it won't try to reset it again.

After the driver loads you should have a sysfs entry:
/sys/class/dri/card0/device

with these entries:
class   detach_state  i2c-1  i2c-3  irq    resource          subsystem_vendor
config  device        i2c-2  i2c-4  power  subsystem_device  vendor

if you have the eeprom I2C driver loaded the EDID data will be on devices inside
the i2c directories.

udev is also supported and /udev/dri/card0 will automatically be created.

The reset program goes through a complicated dance to not interfere with other
VGA devices. It will disable those devices, route the bus to this card, reset
the card, deactive it's VGA, and then restore the original VGA and bus routing.
You have to do this because the reset code writes to the VGA ports.

=====
Jon Smirl