Roland Scheidegger wrote:
Keith Whitwell wrote:

ok, I'll try to implement it. This register is just before the
ABLENDCNTL and CBLENDCNTL, so that makes it easier to support these (for
the GL_EXT_blend_xx_separate extensions) at the same time. Unfortunately
requires a drm change, and unfortunately though I think it needs a new
state atom (since appending to the ctx atom won't work, as it wouldn't
be compatible at all to old drm modules). It's a pity that appending to
the ctx atom won't work, as this would have avoided some strange problem
(ABLENDCNTL and CBLENDCNTL are not sompletely separate registers from
BLENDCNTL, i.e. writing to BLENDCNTL will affect either ABLENDCNTL or
CBLENDCNTL or both, not sure yet since I still lack a test application.
That's a problem since the ctx atom gets emitted a lot, and thus the
previous updates to ABLENDCNTL and CBLENDCNTL in a different state atom
get always overwritten. Maybe I'll figure out how the registers
interact to avoid just always resubmitting ABLENDCNTL and CBLENDCNTL...). For only the blend_color extension this isn't a problem though.

You could create two new state atoms and just leave the old ctx atom for legacy.

As far as I can see though this would get very ugly, with lots of "if drm_version" code. And it might not be necessary (for instance if the BLENDCNTL register just "mirrors" the CBLENDCNTL, but leaves the values in ABLENDCNTL alone then it would be no problem at all). Maybe I'll try a bit harder to come up with a sample application for gl_ext_blend_func_separate next week, then it would be quite easy to figure out how the xBLENDCNTL registers interact.

I don't see why -- in userspace, just up the required drm minor number. In kernel space just define two new atoms (which happen to overlap the old one). What's the problem?

Keith