Ian Romanick wrote:
Andreas Stenglein wrote:

after setting LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
glxinfo shows
OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 6.0
but doesnt show all extensions necessary for OpenGL 1.5

An application only checking for GL_VERSION 1.5 would probably fail.

Any idea what would happen with libGL.so / libGLcore.a from different versions
of XFree86 / DRI and/or different vendors (nvidia) on the client/server machines?

That's *bad*. It is currently *impossible* to have GL 1.5 with indirect rendering because some of the GLX protocol (for ARB_occlusion_query & ARB_vertex_buffer_objects) was never completely defined. Looking back at it, we can't even advertise 1.3 or 1.4 with indirect rendering becuase the protocol for ARB_texture_compression isn't supported (on either end).

Ian, it seems to me that xc/lib/GL/glx/single2.c's glGetString() function should catch queries for GL_VERSION (as it does for GL_EXTENSIONS) and compute the minimum of the renderer's glGetString(GL_VERSION) and what the client/server GLX modules can support.

That would solve this, right?

Please submit a bug for this on XFree86. Something should be done for this for the 4.4.0 release.

http://bugs.xfree86.org/

Does anyone know if either the ATI or Nvidia closed-source drivers support ARB_texture_compression for indirect rendering? If one of them does, that would give us a test bed for the client-side protocol support. When that support is added, we can change the library version to 1.4 (i.e., change from libGL.so.1.2 to libGL.so.1.4, with extra .1.2 and .1.3 symlinks).

I don't have the latest NVIDIA drivers on my machines, but glxinfo reports:

direct rendering: No
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.3
server glx extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_ARB_multisample
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.3
client glx extensions:
GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
GLX_NV_swap_group, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_NV_float_buffer
GLX extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_ARB_get_proc_address
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce3/AGP/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.4.0 NVIDIA 44.96
OpenGL extensions:
GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements,
GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_multitexture,
GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_EXT_fog_coord,
GL_ARB_imaging, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_EXT_paletted_texture,
GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_blend_color
glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

So, it appears that GL_ARB_texture_compression is not supported, but the GL_VERSION is reported as 1.4.0 Hmmm.

-Brian