--- Chris Ison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I brought an AGP Radeon 9200SE yesterday, thinking I would get a HUGE
> performance increase over my older PCI Radeon 9000. And for windows
> sure enough, the overkill demo in quakeforge jumped from 33fps to
> 122fps within Windows.
>
> When I tried it in linux, the framerates for the PCI R9000 were
> around 25fps, but for the AGP R9200SE, I only managed to get 35fps
> out of it.
>
> I'm guessing that I'm either hitting alot of slow paths withing DRI,
> or my config is bad.
>
> Below are links to various files that may help you to determine my
> problem.
>
> http://wildmidi.sf.net/XFree86Config
> http://wildmidi.sf.net/XFree86.0.log
> http://wildmidi.sf.net/glxinfo.out
> http://wildmidi.sf.net/misc.out  (this is the full output of lspci
> -vvv)

The 9200SE is a pretty slow card.  the 9000 and 9200 chips are
identical except for the fact that the 9200 supports agp 8x.  9000's
and 9200's should perform about the same.  the 9200SEs are clocked
slower and have half the memory bandwidth (64 bit vs. 128 bit) of a
9000 or 9200.  I would expect them to perform about the same, with the
AGP bus providing a slight performance boost.  To be honest, I'm not
sure why your windows performance changed as much as it did.

Alex