I initially just proposed a copy in the Mesa tree. I didn't get any responses
for two days so I added it. That was just a first pass at removing redundant
defines, there are more I haven't got to yet.

I also have a lot more code that isn't checked in yet. It's all based on
parallel changes that I have made to the server directories and the DRM tree.
For example the video-reset app relies on a new IOCTL for retrieving the ROM
contents. It also needs the hotplug event generation from the DRM driver.

In another change I modified the DRM drivers to internally AddMap the
framebuffer and registers. This eliminates the need for the user space app to
muck with the registers and then set these values back into the DRM driver. If
user space AddMap's them again I just return ok.

Another set of changes is adding a mode setting IOCTL to the DRM drivers. I did
this via a driver specific IOCTL. My code for this computes the mode register
values in user space and then just sends the final result to the IOCTL. The
radeon DRM driver has been modified to make EDID user space visible in sysfs.

Some of these changes are 2.6 specific, for example hotplug support and sysfs.
Right now I wasn't planning on trying to figure out how to backport these
features to 2.4. Since it may be six months or more until all of this work is
finished, I don't know how much effort we should spend right now trying to back
port.

The end goal of all of this is to build a standalone Mesa that doesn't need to
access the hardware directly from userspace, everything is done via IOCTLs.

=====
Jon Smirl