On Maw, 2004-05-11 at 19:48, Egbert Eich wrote:
> For the text console to be usable you possibly want to be able to
> 1.  move the fb start address for scrolling
> 2.  to do some basik 2D accel for fast text drawing

I thought about this a bit more. Let me propose a different viewpoint as
a result. That viewpoint is that there is no reason for any
acceleration. Scroll at most.

If the video mode switching is done right and apps can handle graphics
nicely then you need a kernel mode text console at boot, but thinking
about Jon's ideas and the GL without X and other work the rational
argument for _good_ console support becomes that after boot you run a
graphical user space console app built with OpenGL, antialiased true
type font handling, megabyte scrollback, hotkeys, URL detection/menus,
googlizer and the like.

On that basis the kernel driver really can be argued to be boot/debug
only.