On Llu, 2004-05-10 at 12:46, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Yes, we will most likely need OS dependent non-chipset specific wrappers,
> but those are cheap to do - a lot cheaper than code dealing directly
> with chipset quirks.

Well the minimal kernel side stuff required to make hot plug work
is going to be

- Use the kernel to do PCI stuff (esp VGA_EN !)
- Map PCI objects (video ram, registers, etc) from files that allow
the kernel to know what PCI device is in use
- Handle the device vanishing rudely (ie polls for busy need to time
out etc)

With frame buffers the ability to switch mode cleanly is helpful because
of two things
- SAK (Secure Attention Key) - need to get back to a sane mode
(Can be mostly done in user space)
- Panic/Crash cases

Clean context switching also makes VT switch a lot neater

AGP/3D obviously adds a ton more, but if you were simply wanting to get
hotplug friendly X working with a generic old 2D card very little is
needed kernel side