Around 11 o'clock on May 10, Egbert Eich wrote:

> Therefore any application on top of the driver should be prepared that
> video mode parameters it cares about (like fb location, fb stride, fb
> size, resolution, depth (?) may change underneath its feet.

X can handle any size/location changes, but it really doesn't want the
depth of the 'screen' (aka 'root window') to change.  I suspect this isn't
really a likely constraint with reasonably modern video cards (like within
the last 10 years or so).  If it is, we may indeed need to provide some
fallbacks, either across the mode API or within the X server to handle
this case.

-keith