Egbert Eich wrote:

However chipset probing/display device probing and mode setting isn't
required to live in kernel space. Portability and system stability arguments speak against it. In fact only Apple MAC users seem to
advocate this idea to be able to an initial video mode on their
systems.

Allow me to speak up for users of IBM pSeries hardware or Sun SPARC hardware. Users of those systems face exactly the same issues as Mac users. I imagine most embedded systems will be in the same boat. Being forced to use a serial console for early boot messages is so 1980's. ;)

The kernel doesn't need to have support for everything, but I think it's important to have at least minimal support.