Thanks for fixing my horrible bug it look like I didn't handle unload correctly.
Obviously any code going into DRM needs to be checked by multiple developers.

1) drm_probe can fail. Should it check for errors before setting fb_loaded=1?

DRM_INFO("Falling back to old detect to due to framebuffer device loaded\n");
DRM(fb_loaded=1);
drm_probe(pdev, &DRM(pciidlist[i]));

2) Does this work? DRM(fb_loaded=1); or should it be DRM(fb_loaded)=1?

3) This should check the subvendor/subdevice fields too to be complete.
if ((DRM(pciidlist)[i].vendor == pdev->vendor) &&
DRM(pciidlist)[i].device == pdev->device)) {

--- Dave Airlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> please review:
> http://freedesktop.org/~airlied/drm_pci_mods.diff
>
> This patch starts importing some of Jon Smirls work to the DRM tree, it is
> 2.6 only at the moment, I'll fix 2.4 for checkin...
>
> It makes the DRM use the Linux PCI code, and is a first step on the way to
> hotplug support...
>
> differences between what Jon submitted and this are:
> a) Jon's code was horribly broken with respect to the fb drivers
> especially over repeated loading/unloading cycles, it would ooops a lot,
> I've fixed it up to check if a driver is registered for the devices before
> registering one, if a driver is registered it falls back to the old
> methods, if not it registers one,
> b) proper old style cleanup code
> c) couple of checks for fb_loaded to avoid breaking the fb driver...
>
> I've only tested this with my radeon 7500 so far but it seems to work,
> I'll give it some more testing and 2.4 attempts later..
>
> Dave.
>
> --
> David Airlie, Software Engineer
> http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
> pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person

=====
Jon Smirl