Around 17 o'clock on May 6, Jon Smirl wrote:

> A proposal has been made that OpenGL be promoted as the primary base graphics
> API on Linux. Then things like Cairo and the xserver be implemented on top of
> OpenGL.

I respectfully disagree with this plan.  OpenGL should be the sole API for
accessing the graphics card for systems which support it, but I encourage
application developers to continue coding to the X API so that there
aren't unexpected "surprises" when run on a machine which doesn't support
OpenGL.

That the X server will use OpenGL to talk to these graphics cards is an
implementation detail which shouldn't be visible to applications.

-keith